NEW: Virtual Team Building: Helping Hands
There’s nothing virtual about the impact your team will have on someone in need, nor about the value your team will experience by collaborating for good.
From Virtuous To Virtual: Helping Hands For Your Remote Workforce
From virtuous to virtual. Helping Hands and the DIY Build a Hand programs have delivered over fifty five thousand prosthetic hands to amputees around the world. This flagship CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) event is one of the most profound give-back experiences available. Since March, 2020 it has been embraced virtually with the same powerful impact on individuals, teams and organizations.
If you are new to the Helping Hands/ Build a Hand program, welcome. If you are an existing client looking to see how it is delivered virtually, welcome back. Below are the five simple steps to conducting your event. It is available as a DIY self-facilitated experience with all the instructional materials; or with Odyssey’s expert facilitation.
Five Simple Steps To Your Virtual Helping Hands Event
1.‘Build-a-Hand’ kits are shipped to participants in advance of your event. Each participant receives the materials to build a hand, design/decorate carrying case, and write a note to the recipient.
2. Gather everyone on your favorite virtual platform and begin: Set context – The Why – show Pre-Build video to give people an understanding of the life-changing gift they are about to build. Build in breakout groups – share best practices, help each other through the various steps. Many clients have welcomed kids/family/friends join the build. The building of the hand, designing the carrying case and writing note to the recipients takes about 90 minutes.
3. Debrief the Helping hands experience: Show the Post-Build Video and then have participants write what they are feeling in the chat box and/or send them to breakouts to discuss this experience as a metaphor for their work. How did/does the experience connect to the concepts, themes, values of your team/organization/community? The questions and connections are endless. The experience combined with powerful facilitation can transform an organization.
4. Return the finished Hands back to Odyssey Teams for QA and distribution around the world.
5.Follow Odyssey Teams/Ellen Meadows Prosthetic Hand foundation to see and share the impact as we post pictures and stories of recipients around the world. Share these with your team and provide follow up.
What Clients Are Saying About Virtual Helping Hands
“Doing helping hands virtually was one of the highlights of our leadership event. We absolutely loved doing this virtually. It added a bit of fun for the participants, and they were able to involve their families in building the hand, which is fantastic at this point where most corporates are working remotely with family around. The participants said doing something like this with their family was transformational and very emotional. I highly, highly recommend this event for your virtual conference,”
Why Your Team Needs To Experience Virtual Helping Hands
The Virtual Helping Hands program brings teams together and increases collaboration and communication for remote workers while also creating something valuable for someone in need. The program also focuses on commitment and quality while deepening a sense of community.
- Coordination in dispersed workforces: The virtual version of Helping Hands precisely simulates the kinds of challenges teams face when working in a dispersed team. Each team member possesses a different piece of the puzzle and it’s only through clear communication and connection with the “big picture” that teams will successfully deliver all outcomes required in the timeframes allowed.
- Personal and work-life integration: Virtual Helping Hands is also a great opportunity to share meaningful work with your family. There are several opportunities where all members of the family (young and old) may be able to help. The coming together of each team member’s personal and work life often prompts powerful conversations about the norms that teams wish to establish.
- Leadership versus supervision: Virtual Helping Hands intentionally provides for a supervisory role along with a big-picture coordinating role. Contrasting these two separate, but complementary functions is a fantastic opportunity to talk about what leadership means for each individual in the team.
All About The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Kit
The power of our DIY team building kits is in your hands. With the DIY version of this program, we give you everything you need to build prosthetic hands, a how-to instructional video and the keys to delivering your very own version of the Helping Hands program to your team.
Transform Teams While Transforming Lives
The Virtual Helping Hands program is an inspirational team building activity created by Odyssey Teams. It’s about perspective, inspiration, collaboration, and giving back. By building prosthetic hands for people in need, your team will be part of a growing movement to connect to the “WHY” of your work, your team mates, and to the world.
Tedx: Helping Hands and Disruption
Disruption leads to transformation and growth. Tedx invited our COO, Lain Hensley, to take the stage and tell the story of building prosthetic hands and how Odyssey Teams harnesses the power of disruption to transform teams. Watch this inspiring talk.